Monday, August 12, 2013

Staples Out

Well I got my staples out today. Nothing too exciting about it, it actually didn't hurt as much as I was expecting it to either, since they had been in for two weeks I thought it would be worse. We also met briefly with my surgeon and went over the pathology. Basically they don't know what to call my tumor, or grade it. They are leaning towards a diagnosis of Pleomorphic Xanthoastrocytoma with Anaplastic Features but it doesn't fit entirely into that diagnosis, and that tumor type makes up less than 1% of brain tumors, so to say I have something rare is a bit of an understatement. Since they won't really commit to a name or a grade we're probably going to treat it like it's acting, aggressively. There are only a few treatment options for brain tumors in general and once a tumor has recurred the treatment is basically all the same regardless of tumor type. My surgeon seems to be leaning towards definitely doing chemo and probably radiation, however I need to meet with the oncologists to determine that plan. I have appointments with them next week. They won't start any kind of treatment for a few weeks after surgery anyways. The good thing is that the type of chemo they typically use for brain tumors is generally well tolerated and has few side effects, but I'll learn more and be able to tell you more about that after my appointments.

Tomorrow we are driving back to Massachusetts where I'll be until we have to come back for the appointments next week. I have a movie date with a certain five year old this week that I'm very excited about :-)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Erin-

    I just happened to stop by this blog today, and read about your recurrence and surgery. I'm so sorry you had to go through this again, although it looks like you made it through it well. After my last MRI, my neuro oncologist sort of prepped me by saying I would someday face another surgery. I think your young age will help you get on with life, and have a positive outcome. In my case, I followed up with 6 weeks of radiation, which I breezed through. I went back to work the day after my last treatment. I did lose a couple of handfuls of hair, though. It mostly grew back, but when you have to fight brain cancer, a little bit of hair doesn't matter so much. I know you will recover well, and it's great to see you smile in these photos. I'll check in more often as you move forward. My best to you and your family-

    ReplyDelete