Thursday, February 20, 2014

Almost Halfway

I know it's been a while but with being back at work and back to life I don't have much to say here.
This week I had an MRI and appointment with my doctors. My MRI looks great and my doctors are happy with how well I am doing. This week starts my third (of six) round of chemo. So far it has been tolerable. It's a much higher dose than I was getting back in the fall with radiation so I have side effects but all are manageable. The two main ones are loss of appetite (which, no worries, comes back very quickly a day or two after chemo is over) and fatigue. All in all I really can't complain about a couple days spent on the couch. The other thing my doctors are watching are my platelets (cells in your blood that help form blood clots) that are starting to get a little too low for comfort but not low enough yet that we would have to decrease my chemo dose. But because of that there will be no winter olympic type sports for me for the rest of this year.  :)

We're also starting to get into that "event" season. I will be partaking in two National Brain Tumor Society events this spring. One here in DC and one in Boston. In DC my friends are putting together a team for the DC Race for Hope. There is no team page set up yet because we haven't come up with a good enough name, so if you have ideas please share! If you are interested in joining us it is on May 4th and is a 5K walk/run. I plan on running it (slowly) so my training will start up again soon.

For those of you in the Boston area, and those willing to travel there with a bike (or rent a bike), Team Erin will once again be participating in the Boston Brain Tumor Ride on May 18th. We would love for anyone to join us either in the ride or just at the event. There are a few rides to choose from starting at 10 miles and going up to 62 so take your pick! You can take a look at our team page here. The ride will mark the end of my chemo so while I'm not sure yet if I will be up for a 62 mile ride I will definitely be there celebrating.

Thanks for checking in, I know the updates are few and far between but it's a good thing! I do hope some of you will be able to join us for either of the NBTS events!

Taking off at last year's ride


1 comment:

  1. Erin-

    Glad to hear you're doing so well. Keep fighting hard. In the world of brain tumors, success stories always make me happy. You and I are fortunate to be able to work through all of this crap. I'm looking forward to a lovely Spring. We have had a bad Winter here in Indiana. I'm so glad you're tolerating the temodar so well, and that you are almost over the hump. I look forward to hearing about your continued wellness.

    ReplyDelete